Friday, June 27, 2014

Book Review: Captured on the High Seas

source
In the Imagination Station's Book #14:  Captured on the High Seas written by Marianne Hering and Nancy I. Sanders, we 'join Patrick and Beth in a seafaring adventure set in 1781.  

Once again, the authors have brought us into the adventures of Patrick and Beth.  What I most appreciate about these books are their historical context because my child is not only reading but reading a book that brings history to life for her.  It is about 126 pages long with enough illustrations throughout to keep her engaged and not distract her.  The vocabulary is not difficult but the child will be introduced to new words pertaining to the historical event (ration, scurvy) which is good.  

My daughter especially enjoyed hearing both sides of the story.  Each chapter held different surprises for both Patrick and Beth.  The scenes were exciting and fun for her to read and not at all predictable.  Not only were historical events portrayed but also lessons in character such as loyalty.  She found book 13's ending more suspenseful than this book but is looking forward to continuing the series.  

These books have been a wonderful addition to our library and I look forward to the upcoming titles.   

 I received a complimentary copy of above mentioned title from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14