Monday, June 30, 2014

Be Long-suffering




Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Ephesians 4:2

We are all different and that's a good thing.  It really is.  

And yet, how often have I wondered why my husband did this that way or why my daughter took this method instead of that one?  Unfortunately, too many.

The above verse commands us to be totally and utterly humble and gentle.  Yet sometimes we are not.  We lift our ways and our thoughts above those of others and are proud and rude.  We do the exact opposite of bearing with one another in love.  We offer unsolicited advice and defend it as constructive criticism.  

Throughout the weeks of the Be Series, I have been challenged to love more and harder especially those within my own household.  It may sound selfish but it's not.  Let me explain.

When the verse tells us to be completely humble and gentle, it is easy to do with the family member we are witnessing to or the sister in Christ we are ministering to.  But what about to my husband?  Or to my children?

My husband knows me, all of me.  So it can be easy to slip up and make that rude remark because he understands I am having a 'rough' day.  Or it is easy to be impatient with my child who keeps on talking and talking when I just want to go to sleep.  But sisters, it should not be this way.  

We should want to be totally and utterly humble and gentle, patiently bearing with our husbands and children in love.  Let us call on the Lord for help in this area.  Will they make mistakes?  Yes and so will you.  But this is where long-suffering comes in.  When difficulties arise you want to be the example of a child to God to your husband and children.  You do not want to add to the difficulty but be an instrument of God to glorify Himself through.  

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
1 Corinthians 9:26-27

Let us not run our households aimlessly.  Let us be intentional, purposeful, and determined.  Let us not be so concerned about ministering and witnessing to others that our homes are neglected.  Our most effective witnessing and ministering should be taking place in the home.  So let us be completely humble and gentle, patiently bearing with one another in love.  Let us be long-suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14