Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Book Review: Essential Atlas of the Bible

source
In Essential Atlas of the Bible, author Carl G. Ramsmussen's work 'is designed to help you better understand the history and places of the Bible and it's world.  With this easy-to-understand atlas, you'll find Bible study more engaging and comprehensible, and you'll learn the essential facts about the fascinating lands of the Bible.'

The book is beautiful.  It is filled with pictures, charts, and maps.  It is also filled with information.  The book is divided into two sections-geographical and historical.  The geographical section is very short (about 30 pages) and not my favorite due to the topic, not the writing style.  Although, I find the information well presented, the topic itself does not appeal to me.

The second section is a different story.  The historical section is packed with information that engages the reader.  One is captivated by the story and able to visualize the context far better because of the photos, maps, and charts.  There is a wealth of information covered from the pre-patriarchal period through the seven churches of Revelation.  (The last section is specifically for Jerusalem.)  Although a lot of data is given, it does not feel rushed or as if there are some huge gaps missing.  There are various Bible verses throughout and even a Scripture index which is useful when you want to look up a specific Scripture pertaining to a location.  

My only concern with this title is on page 53 in which the author mentions some "updated" material which seemed to attempt to question the credibility of the copyists and editors thus infusing confusion as to the validity of the Biblical text.

Although the actual apportionment took place during the days of Joshua and Eleazar the son of Aaron (14:1;19:51), later copyists and editors of the book of Joshua seem to have "updated" the lists of cities mentioned as belonging to the various tribes.

Overall, this book is a good resource for indepth study.  The back of the book states that it can be used in small group discussion, Sunday school classes, or in personal devotions, however, I  look forward to using it in my homeschool setting.  

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14