Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review: Ingredients for Success

source
In Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business ad Life, author Joseph James Slawek 'shares 10 best practices for business leaders, which he draws from the teachings of Jesus.'

I will preface my review by stating that I am not a business leader.  In fact, I am a stay-at-home mom.  Since the book's title stated that the 10 best practices were for business and life, I thought it worthwhile to read.  I was not disappointed.

Slawek masterfully interweaves his personal experiences and his professional ones to demonstrate the effectiveness of these practices.  At first, it seemed that the book was going to be a history on his company, but because Slawek goes into great details about his past, conversion, and present, I was able to relate to it more than I had originally expected.  

Slawek does not propose to have the answers but correctly leads the reader to Him who does--Jesus.  He credits his success to the implementation of Biblical principles.  I particularly enjoyed the second half of the book.  On page 68, he writes:

Never reward before the accounting, even if it's based on the best of motives with the hardest working employees.  In order to get a return, you have to invest your talents first.

This principle is not limited to the business world but life in general.  His discussion on fears was most interesting.  Ascertaining correctly that failure is not the worst that could happen but rather mediocrity was brilliant.  

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to live a life of excellence, not perfection.


I received complimentary copy of this book from Handlebar Publishing in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.