Friday, December 20, 2013

Long Overdue Homeschool Update

We are in our fifth year of our homeschool journey and I haven't been so good about documenting all the changes and the growth.  So this will be my attempt to condense all those years with a brief summary.

I will preface by stating a little bit of my background so you will get a better idea of the overall picture.

I am a bookworm.
I am a learner
I am a lover of History.
I was a History major.
I was a high school History teacher.
I am now a homeschooler.

So back in 2009 when we started our homeschool journey, I had a school at home mentality.  And while there is nothing wrong with that, I soon discovered it wasn't for us.  The next year although I didn't buy a complete box curriculum like I had done for the first year, essentially the mentality was the same--school at home.

Fast forward to 2013, I am still struggling to overcome that mentality.  Education has to be this way and that way with books and tests.  But it's slowly happening.  I am gradually moving away from this model of education to:

Discipleship

The Lord has been impressing upon me the importance of discipling our children.  It is more than learning for the here and now; it is about the eternal.

And while we do the 'regular' subjects, the way they are done and the extras added have been captivating my attention and heart.

These are just a few resources that we have used or are using that are part of this journey.

1.  Bible
The Bible has always been a part of our schooling as the foundation and the continuing building blocks.  The Lord is just taking us on a new route with His Word (which I hope to blog about soon).

2.  Worldview Books
These are just the ones I had bought long and had not done, but I am definitely looking into buying more of this genre.

3.  Literature
We love to read over at our house but with a full schedule of (sometimes fluff) school work, it was getting harder to squeeze it in.  No more.  These books have been a great addition to our homeschool.  Even though I don't agree with every thing written, they provide great discussions.

4.  Outside the Box
This is the biggest area where I need growth.  Incorporating non-traditional methods (unit studies, lapbooking, journaling) are making their way to our daily learning.

It is so fun to look back where we started and where the Lord has brought us to and where He is still taking us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14