Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Review: The God Puzzle

In The God Puzzle:  How the Bible Fits Together to Reveal God as Your Greatest Treasure, Valerie Ackermann seeks to "present the Bible as one seamless story and share deep truths in a way kids will understand."  This workbook is targeted for kids ages 7-12.

I will preface my review by stating that I am a mother, homeschooler, and Sunday school teacher.  That being stated, my review is based on how effectively I could use this book in different settings.  

From the start, I can say that this is a meaty book.  There is not fluff or busy work but convicting and challenging topics to stimulate and encourage a child's spiritual growth.  I liked the spontaneity of the presentation of the lessons.  Although each lesson included the read it, talk about it, and talk to God about it portion, the lessons had a diversity of activities to engage the child in the material.  The diagrams and illustrations were very helpful in communicating ideas.  

As I worked on it with my daughter, I enjoyed the conversations it sparked.  The author did an exceptional job  in tailoring it towards children without diminishing the power of the Gospel.  I appreciated the author's understanding that children are capable of understanding the Bible.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading my daughter's responses in the "talk to God" portion.  

Whereas, I enjoyed it immensely as a homeschool mom because it was full of Scripture, as a Sunday school teacher, I question how long would it take me to do a lesson.  Sure I could skip some of the verses, but I would not want to.  I think it would work best in a new believer's class setting rather than for a child who has read the Bible.  

I enjoyed reading and working on the book alongside my daughter.  Although I do not agree one hundred percent with the author's theology (Lesson 18), I would recommend this resource for a new believer.  I look forward to seeing the author's upcoming titles.  

I received a complimentary copy of above mentioned title from Litfuse  in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14