Friday, November 8, 2013

Book Review: Why Christ Came

source
Joel R. Beeke's & William Boekestein's Why Christ Came: 31 Mediations on the Incarnation seeks to 'encourage us to celebrate Christ's birth more deeply, see more clearly how it is connected with the rest of His ministry, and recognize its importance for our lives.'

Although the authors themselves did not represent this book as a good evangelization tool, its title piqued my interest that it may be an evangelization tool especially for the upcoming holiday season.  Whereas, I think it could be used to introduce someone to the gospel, I would not recommend it for that purpose.  

The daily devotions were short and provided a plethora of Scripture, something I very much appreciate since Christ is shown all through out the Bible and not just the New Testament.  The version chosen would have been better replaced with the NIV84 or another reliable translation.  What I could have done with out was what seemed to be an inundation of quotes or references from other works.  I did not feel that it added any understanding to the day's devotional but rather took away from the poignancy of it often confusing it with another's opinions and ideas.  The veracity of the Bible is enough for this reader.  

I especially enjoyed days 20 and 21 of the devotional.  The juxtaposition of Christ coming to bring peace and to bring a sword was exceptional.  

As previously mentioned, I think this book 's concept would have made for a great evangelization tool but its execution is far better suited for the Christian community.  

I received complimentary copy of this book from Cross Focused Reviews in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about using the KJV. It's a great translation, but right at the beginning of the book, there were some verses that had words that I had never heard of. I would guess the authors respect the ESV (even if it isn't my first choice) and could have used that. Someday we need to get past the 17th century English, which is becoming a foreign language.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for share this informative post here. it is my mean than in present time this types of post are not easy to meet.
    building a house warwick qld

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14