Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: Think 4:8

source
Tommy Newberry's Think 4:8: 40 Days To A Joy-Filled Life For Teens is designed "to help you reach your goals and live the successful, purposeful life God has planned just for you."

As the mother of a teen, I am on the look out for good resources for my child.  This book is short and concise.  The topics included in the forty days are great.  I appreciate the author's commitment to centering this book on the Word of God rather than human thought and reasoning.  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the four action points at the end of each day which reminds children that our faith is to be lived out.  The exercises were not just merely busy work but thought provoking questions and exercises.  

The size, cover, and shape of the book is very appealing.  Whereas I appreciate the author's use of different translations of the Bible, I would have preferred the NIV84 version throughout.  



The following are my daughter's take on the book:


Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about. Philippians 4:8 (The Living Bible)

Think 4:8: 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life for Teens is a book directed for the teenage audience sharing biblical truths found in Phillippians 4:8 on how to transform your mind and attitude. "What you choose to think about and focus on today can impact the rest of your life."

The author makes it clear to the reader that the transformation of the mind and attitude is not a night to day process, taking time and dedication from the reader's part. The process is broken into 40 days, in which the reader experiences different lessons ranging from The Joy of Free Will to the The Joy of His Presence. Unlike many authors who create teen devotionals, Tommy Newberry and Lyn Smith remained Biblically sound and did not water anything down. 

Since I enjoy reading, I would have enjoyed more material, however the very small readable portions are easily doable for the average person. Following the reading portion comes the "Work it" section where the reader can jot his her personal struggles in certain areas, future goals, or whatever that chapter's material consisted of. The "Talk it" section prompted the student to share what he is learning and working on in that chapter. Lastly, came the "Post it" section where the author summarized the day's lesson on a post it. This section was a personal favorite, it provided a simple thought that I could focus on throughout the day. 

Think 4:8: 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life for Teens is a teen devotional I would easily recommend for teens. Renewing our mind is not a one time occurrence or a 40 day one either but a lifelong choice. I can definitely see myself picking up this book time and time again. I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars.


I received a complimentary copy of above mentioned title from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14