Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Book Review: God's Great Plan

source
In God's Great Plan, author Melissa Cutrera focuses on the story of the Creation, Fall, and Redemption using  "simple, memorable rhymes to teach children these important truths.

Each member of our family read this book by themselves and each of us was impressed with the simplicity and yet depth of this book.  First, the illustrations are simply beautiful.  Some pages can be taken as too dark and dismal for children, but I think it poignantly expresses the darkness of sin itself that is beneficial for children to know.  The juxtaposition between light and darkness clearly shows the child our condition due to the Fall and the hope in Redemption in Jesus.  

The author's use of rhyme may make some think that the lines would be catchy little phrases just to suit the story's rhythm and yet this is the complete opposite.  Although rhyming, the message embedded was clear and simple without being over simplified or watered down.  The forthrightness in which the author explains man's sin nature is refreshing.  I really enjoyed how she included the Sovereignty of God, the sinlessness of Jesus, the victory over sin at the cross, and many more other details.

My family and I enjoyed this book thoroughly.  It is a wonderful tool for evangelization and Sunday school.  Although a children's book, it presents the gospel thoughtfully and thoroughly.  

I received complimentary copy of this book from Cross Focused Reviews in exchange for an independent and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14