Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spiritual Discipline: Mixing it Up

Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, I really don't like referring to my time with the Lord as a "routine."  One reason being, I don't want to get stuck doing the same thing over and over with no room for change.

Although there is a flow of things happening, I definitely want to be open to whatever the Lord wants to do.  For example, some days will include praise and worship and others reading a book I am working through that coincides with spiritual matter (grace, faith, etc.).

I was recently listening to a sister in Christ speak about her spiritual disciplines or lack thereof.  She sounded so defeated and deflated.  She was trying and trying and thought she wasn't getting it right.  

I thought, "By whose standards?"

She was putting so much pressure on herself that she was sucking the joy out of her relationship with the Lord.  She probably had a preconceived way of how things should "look" or "be" in our time with the Lord that she had lost the sheer joy of it.

Thankfully, we prayed and the Lord ministered her.  She came out of prayer renewed and refreshed.

Praise the Lord!

Don't get stuck, condemned, or discouraged.  Your spiritual disciplines are just that--yours and of course the Lord's.  Yours is not meant to look like mine and vice versa.  Let's not let a "set routine" ruin the joy that is only found in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14