Friday, June 21, 2013

Book Review: The World of Jesus

source
In The World of Jesus, Dr. William H. Marty strives to allow the reader to "Get to know the times in which Jesus lived, so you'll better understand his teaching and ministry.  And along the way, discover how God prepared the world for the One who would turn it upside down."

This book provides an interesting read from start to finish.  Beginning with the Persian Period, the book goes into great detail  describing the lives of the Jewish under captivity.  Each chapter contains 'Questions for Discussion' and highlighted in-depth information is included throughout the book.  The book works its way through the early church and the Herodians providing Biblical references throughout.  

Whereas I appreciate the author's extensive historical account of the times, this book was not what I expected.  The title gave the impression that insights into the world of Jesus would be explored for further understanding of Jesus' life and teachings, yet I did not find that here.  More accurately, this book is a historical account of the Jewish nation from captivity to the inception of the early church.  The author took great pains to include a myriad of references, though I did not appreciate the author's liberty at paraphrasing the Bible verses.

The author's way of interweaving historical events with Biblical account demonstrated God's sovereignty in world events.  He provided enough drama, fact, and references to make this an enjoyable read.  

I received this book for free from Bethany House for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14