Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Recipe: PW's Fancy Mac and Cheese

As I had mentioned here, we were trying a new recipe this Saturday.  This one came from the Pioneer Woman and you can find it here.  She calls it 'Fancy Mac and Cheese' and it is d-e-l-i-s-h.  We were so quiet during dinner time just enjoying the meal.  And the leftovers on Sunday were even better:)

This is my adaption of her recipe since I don't think we would have liked the cheeses she used.


16-ounces of mushrooms
2-cups of spinach
1-cup of shredded and drained tomatoes to top
8-slices of bacon
1/2-of a white onion (I put this in the food processor along with garlic)
3-garlic cloves
5-tablespoons of butter
1.5-cup of Mexican blend cheese (I also added parmesan cheese to the sauce)
1-box of penne pasta (I forgot to add elbow noodles to the list so I used what we had)
1/4 -cup all-purpose flour
2.5-cups whole milk
2-whole eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese to taste

I basically followed her instructions but I skipped the layering of onions since I am not a fan of onions and instead shredded them and the garlic to flavor the shredded bacon.  I half-baked the bacon in the oven then shredded it and added it to the sauteed onions and garlic with the mushrooms and spinach.  Once everything was cooked (bacon and mix, noodles, and sauce), I topped it with the tomatoes.




1 comment:

  1. I made of version of this pasts dish and loaded it up with veggies and it turned out quite delicious.
    It is a great addition to a meatless meal list of recipes and very filling btw!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14