Friday, January 4, 2013

The New

I am sitting here typing about to sip on some tea.  Trying to gather my thoughts on this the fourth day of the new year.

December felt like a whirlwind.  It is a different kind of month where schedules, routines, and disciplines go flying out the door.  And that is good.  

There are family gatherings, special church services, and shopping sprints.

But I have to admit, I get antsy during December just wanting it to be over to begin something new--a New Year.

Why?

Because there's something about new that's so appealing to me.  (Yeah, I am the one who actually likes Mondays.)  New means fresh starts, bright beginnings.  New brings with it connotations of shiny, excitement, and a clean slate.

But new does become old.

As I fall back into a routine, follow a schedule (of sorts), and fine tune discipline in areas of my life, I don't want to forget the newness I have in Christ.  That throughout the year, every single day really, I have an opportunity to experience Him anew, afresh.  I can receive His grace and mercy and LOVE to begin again and extend it to those around me to do the same.  

So, as I take a sip of my tea and savor its taste in my mouth, I want to savor the new of each day in Him.  I want to remember that in Christ, I am a new creature, the old has gone, the new has come!

I want to remember that at the wake of each new morning, He directs His love to me and that His mercies are new every single day.

I don't have to wait until the new year to do so.  I can start today, now.  

Because I am new.

2 comments:

  1. How the new becomes old sooner than I would like it o be. I do get excited and filled with hope come the new year. But I am learning that even if I fall behind on filling out my planner the grace of Jesus is right there available to me.

    I always want to hold onto His precious grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

    This verse is present tense for all those that are IN Christ...How great it is that although birthdays come and days past if we remain in Christ behold we continue living in the NEW - New life, New creation, New experiences, New expectancy, etc...

    Praise the Lord...

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14