Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Review--Desperate

Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe written by Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson sets out to provide encouragement, help, and answers to questions.

Did it deliver?  

The authors provided a lot of tools.  Each chapter begins with a letter from the younger mom and the seasoned mother's response,  a written portion from each, Your Turn (Biblical verses and questions), Something to Do (an action plan) and finally a QR code to watch a video.  

Whereas all these tools show a desire from the authors to help mothers, it falls short in the actual content. The focus seemed more on 'civilizing' children and creating a home that 'pleases' one's heart.  Although Scripture references are contained in the Your Turn section, it seems to be limited to that section instead of the groundwork for providing hope for mothers.  The solution for desperate moms seemed to come from within and others as opposed to God.  

Great topics were brought up, but not solutions.  For example, the authors stated that depression is part of motherhood.  The 'it just comes with the territory' mentality is not Biblical.  Temporal remedies such as bringing flowers and meals, playing soft music, and lighting candles are  just that--temporal fixes.  I think the authors had a great opportunity of examining heart issues that can be healed by the Word of God and missed it.

This is not a book I would recommend.  

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14