Friday, November 9, 2012

Dare to Hope

16He has broken my teeth with gravel;
he has trampled me in the dust.
17I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18So I say, “My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the Lord.”
Lamentations 3:16-18

Jeremiah's honesty is refreshing.  Utter devastation and chaos surround him.  The enemy has won (for now) and there's nothing left.  The people are taken captive and the Promised Land lies in ruins.  

There is certainly no peace, prosperity, or splendor.  There is no hope.

19I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
20I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Lamentations 3:19-21

There are however memories--memories of affliction and bitterness, of wandering proclaiming the Lord's message to no avail.  And Jeremiah's soul is downcast.

Yet, there is hope.

22Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
Lamentations 3:22-24

How can Jeremiah hope during the hopeless?  Because of the Lord's great love, they were not consumed.  Disciplined yes, but not consumed.  Captive yes, but not consumed.  

And we too can experience this hope because He is the same.  His great love, never failing compassions, and great faithfulness are right there in the midst of any pain, hurt, devastation, destruction, captivity, or anything else.  

We are not consumed.

Let us say to ourselves, "The Lord is my portion, therefore I will wait for him."  

25The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
27It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young.
Lamentations 3:25-27

How am I to wait?  I will put my hope in HIM.  I will seek HIM.  I will wait quietly for HIM.  I will bear in HIM.  And I will do it knowing that indeed in Him there is hope.  Jesus is my hope.

I am not consumed and neither are you.

1 comment:

  1. Refreshing Word!!! Jesus is our hope. As i see the images on t.v. or through the internet of what Hurricane Sandy did to places and homes in NJ and NY my soul aches for the affected. Nevertheless, my experience can't compare to the fact that Jeremiah was face to face walking through the place he knew as home which then lied completely in ruins - the temple ruined ,adults, children layed dead on the streets, the smell -- the Promise Land in ruin and others taken captive to Babylon and yet His hope remained in the Lord...Only the Lord can place such hope and faith on His people...Thank you Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14