Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Book Review--Everything by Mary Demuth

Book Description

But it was just enough to bring her to a place of surrender, piece by precious piece. In that surrender, she found the freedom of giving everything to God. And through Scripture, community, and the work of the Holy Spirit, she gives it all over again, every day.

In this gentle and challenging book, DeMuth describes the process and the nuances that shape us to be more like Christ. Her words are clear, vulnerable, and thought provoking, and every chapter is infused with Scripture.

Most of all, DeMuth provides personal and practical evidence that there is no greater pursuit than Christ. We must surrender everything, but it does not compare to the Everything He is, the Everything He gives.

My Review

I had seen some advertisements about this upcoming book but had never heard of the author. Because of the subject matter, I was excited to find it on a list to review.

The premise of the book is wonderful--surrendering our everything to Jesus that He may become our everything. The section titles as well as the chapter titles seemed so interesting at first glance. Review questions were a great source of follow up to each preceding chapter. 

The author honed in on some key factors in one's life that may be casually overlooked and remain unchecked thus preventing one from making Jesus everything in one's life. Some issues included one's perception of God, control, forgiveness, healing, freedom, and finances to name a few. Her points vividly came to life with the sharing of her life's story. Some of these points left me reflective and resonated with me. 

Whereas, I could agree with some Biblical points she stated, there were more often than not things I did not agree with. There seemed at times that in order to make Jesus one's everything, He had to become what one's mind imagined Him to be as opposed to who His Word states He is--Jesus dancing to Duran Duran for example. The usage of the Message translation of the Bible validated this for me. Instead of sticking to Scripture as the ultimate authority, God is trivialized to one's own "message" of Him. I did not appreciate the descriptions given in regards to Jesus as scary, untamed and speaking haunting words. It is a statement of the author's view of Jesus as opposed to a Biblical account. 

I appreciate the author's sincerity in sharing her life and the power of God's love in it. Her quest to make Jesus her everything and encouragement for us to do the same is uplifting and inviting. Overall, I think she would have succeeded much better in this endeavor by encouraging the reader to elevate one's standard to God's as opposed reducing His standard to ours. 


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. I was considering reading this book for Book Sneeze as well until I read your review. Nicely written review; I'll spend my reading time elsewhere. thanks

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14