Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fruit


Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.
Matthew 3:8 (NIV)

I don't know how many times I have quoted this to my husband (both in English and Spanish), trying to make him understand that "sorry" isn't Biblical. And while it's true that "sorry" isn't Biblical, forgiveness is.

And it has to be enough.

Enough that it is asked even if not shown.

Lord help me!

As were studying Paul in To Live is Christ, I am being reminded and convicted how easy is it for us to want to add to God's Word and demanding things He doesn't. That's when we become legalistic. And what I mean about legalistic is when man made rules out weigh God's Word. When we're more interested in imposing our thoughts, ideas, and interpretations to God's Word to justify our carnality.

If we look at the verse above, it does not say show fruit in keeping with repentance and it doesn't give the offended party the right to demand visible results of this production. It is simply a call to repent from our sin. This repentance will be evident through a change of mentality, attitude, and action. Sometimes immediately, sometimes not so immediately, but it should be produced.

Let's be careful not to demand from others and ourselves what the Word of God doesn't.


18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. Revelation 22:18-19 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14