Saturday, June 26, 2010

What do I Know?

Hubby and I were driving and talking.

Driving and talking.

Talking about having a repentant heart, a contrite heart before the Lord.

We talked and discussed what does that actually mean and how does that look like.  We came up with the conclusion that we have no idea.  Only the Lord can produce these things within the heart of a human being.  

And although we have no clue as how to get and stay there, we both have experienced it.  Yes, we are both repentant sinners who have given our lives to Jesus Christ.  We have confessed our sins and are walking with the Lord.

But that's not what we were discussing.

We were talking about the state of having a repentant and contrite heart continually before the Lord.  We can say that we need the Lord, that He's #1 in our lives.  But is He?  Do our words, actions, attitudes, meditations, intentions reflect that we are loving God with all our heart, mind, soul, strength?  Are we truly working out our salvation with fear and trembling?

Umm, makes me think.

The last thing I want is religion.  I came out of religion-me seeking God on my terms.  
I want intimacy.  I want to know that everything is nothing without Him.  I want to know that I can do nothing separated from Him.  I want to be convinced that there is nothing good in me outside of Him.  I want Him and only Him to fill and satisfy me completely that I refuse to take or settle for anything less than Him.

I don't want to walk around honoring Him only with my lips but my heart be far from Him.  I don't want to regret my decisions but repent from my sins.  I don't want to be grieved by the consequences of my sin but contrite about grieving Holy Spirit.  I don't just want to know about Him, I want to know Him!

Don't tear your clothing in your grief; instead, tear your hearts."  Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and merciful.  He is not easily angered.  He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you.   Joel 2:13 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14