Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Monthly Round Up: June

One full year under our belts....yay!!!!!

Yesterday, I headed out to the post office and sent out our last bit of paperwork for this year. Now, I have to get started on preparing the IHIP for next year. I praise the Lord that even the paperwork has not been a daunting experience.

Although, the school year is officially over, the learning is not. I've decided that instead of taking months off, we would study throughout the summer, even if lightly. The girls are on board and so excited.

Even before we started homeschooling, I had purchased some books for the girls. Seeing that my tween's school was not teaching language arts adequately, I purchased some Life Pacs for her. We had started but didn't finish them due to her school and our schedule as well. I had also bought my tot some books. One was more of a review for her because she already knew the material, but it was good for her to review and the other was a Science book. So, I told the girls to get ready to finish those before starting on new materials. That is what we'll be working on during the summer, although my tot already finished the review book she was excited to start on her very own curriculum, or as she calls it, "her green books."

So our plate looks somewhat like this:

Tween
God's World News
Life Pacs
Typing
Piano
Bible Study
Health

Tot
God's World News
Science
Creation Study
Bible Study
DiscipleLand
Health

I'm pretty sure that I may be forgetting somethings. We started our Bible Study on Monday, and we're learning so much. I strongly encourage Bible Studies.

I was remembering last night, before I even knew what homeschooling was, I would do studies during the summer with my tween and niece. One year, we studied Battlefield of the Mind for Teens by Joyce Meyer and the following year we studied Ron Luce's Dig In. I recalled typing up a letter for the two students and enclosing a supply list (only the Lord knows why I did this for my daughter and niece:). The point is, I had no clue what I was doing but because I made a commitment to the Lord, I was determined to finish these studies. I left blessed and so did the girls.

This has made me think of the Lord's Sovereignty. He knew He would have us homeschooling. He knew it but I didn't. So even today, as I rejoice at the fact that we've finished one year, I am still humbled by the fact that He chose this path for us.

He's been ministering me on a few Scriptures for this upcoming school year.

Unless the LORD builds the house,its builders labor in vain.Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.
Psalm 127:3 (NIV)

6-These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.7-Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.8-Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.9-Write them on the doorframes of your house and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (NIV)

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

These are Scriptures that will be guiding this upcoming school year. They are not the reasons why we homeschool. We homeschool because God told us to. God brought these Scriptures to my heart to remind me of His purpose for our homechooling.

By the way, remember when I mentioned our new homeschool area was practically finished, well, it's completely dismantled for now! And I love it!

The girls' room suffered some water damage that has to be repaired so we had to clean out their room. I love it that I don't know it all and don't have to...He's in control! His thoughts are way higher and better than mine. Jesus is LORD!

What are your homeschooling plans for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14