Monday, June 28, 2010

Ch 25: To Be Beautiful

Do you feel beautiful? Is so, what makes you feel beautiful? If not, what makes you feel un-beautiful?

I would like to preface this post by stating this is NOT about looks per se.

We know according to the Word that beauty is fleeting.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30 NIV

We also know that our beauty does not come from outward adornment but rather it is the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:3-4) Whether we are beautiful is not the question-we definitely are as daughters of the KING!

The question addressed here is do we feel beautiful?

Let me start of by giving you some background.

As far as I can remember, neither of my parents stressed outside looks. Yes, they wanted us looking presentable and neat, but that was about it. I can recall both of them stressing bringing more than a pretty face to the table. My father especially drilled it into me the importance of being a "prepared" woman who had an education and was able to defend herself in this world.

Therefore, this approach catered to my bookworm self. I don't recall ever being into clothes, make-up, or hair (although these of course, were part my every day). I just didn't value them or thought they added anything to who I was. My focus was becoming an intelligent woman and not just looking like one.

When, I came to the Lord, my mind had to be renewed regarding beauty.

I had to learn that beauty comes from a gentle and quiet spirit whose obedience and submission to the Lord encompasses every aspect of one's life. No longer could I depend on my "intelligence." But at the same time, I also didn't have to think about my physical appearance.

And this leads me to finally answering the question.

Do I feel beautiful?
Yes, most of the time when I am not looking like a hot mess.

What makes me feel beautiful?
Having my hair in place, a new dress, putting on Tresor (my favorite perfume), using cream.

Since coming to Christ, my entire outlook on appearance has changed. I have to admit that I have let myself go just a bit. I once told my husband that I would be perfectly happy in wearing a uniform all the time and having my hair wrapped in a scarf. He retorted, "We're trying to win souls to Christ and not scare them away, they already think we're weird."

But I think the point really hit home when he told me that maybe I should consider throwing out a couple of items such as my pajamas which are almost exactly like the ones his grandmother owns:) I told him that meant he also had to throw out his old man slippers (that I got for him:)

So while these "things" do not make or break me, I do have to remember that as a child of God I have to put some (even) if a little effort into fixing myself up. So, I will start there.

Now I am off to buy some new pjs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14