Thursday, June 24, 2010

BF Homework: Chapter 25

Do you feel beautiful?  If so, what makes you feel beautiful?  If not, what makes you feel un-beautiful?

Even as I typed the question, I could feel myself cringe inside because I don't like the wording-I don't like using the word feel.

But we have to talk about it-beauty.

Yes, I can know that I am beautiful because I am made in the image and likeness of God but I may not feel beautiful.  Yes, God's truth should be enough (and it is enough) but maybe there's something there (in our lives) that has clouded God's truth and prevents us from both knowing and feeling beautiful.

We live in a world where beauty is not in the eye of the beholder.  Magazine covers and tv reality programs show us what beauty is.  But we are not of this world.  Its standards are not ours.  However, millions of girls are looking to the world to show them what beauty is-even within the church.  And they're finding the answer-promiscuity, perversity, degradation.

That is why this chapter is so pivotal.  If we tell our girls that they are beautiful because God made them and yet they can see or even perceive that we, their mothers, are not believing it, there arises an issue.  As with anything dealing with children, it's not so much what you say but what you do.  Your little girl may hear you complain about your hair, figure, clothes, etc, so when she looks in the mirror, will she see God's beauty or faults and shortcomings?

Let's dig deep in answering this question.  Too much is riding on this one.  Remember your freedom will affect your child's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14