Thursday, June 17, 2010

BF Homework: Chapter 24

Not coincidentally, as I am reading this chapter titled "To Be a Bride," I am preparing to go to a wedding on Saturday.

This has led me to reminisce on my own wedding but more importantly think about the most important wedding I will attend-between the Groom and His bride!

Every wedding is different and planned differently as well. Usually, there is a lot of preparation and loads of anticipation.

So this week we will be answering the question:

In my walk with the Lord, have I been getting ready for a wedding or for the Groom?

I know that Beth makes the point that you can not get ready for the wedding without thinking of the Groom but let's look at it from another standpoint.

In today's culture where shows like Bridezillas, Say Yes to the Dress, and the like are plaguing the tv listings, do you think that these brides are thinking about their grooms. Most likely not. They are self absorbed and completely bent on having it their way on their day. Their time, energy, and resources are being spent on planning for one wedding day as opposed to getting ready for marriage.

Could it be possible that as the bride of Christ, we are similar? More interested in being blessed than obedience? More interested in our Groom's hand than His face? Have we become so consumed on having a "perfect" life here that we've forgotten we are aliens on this earth? Has looking pious replaced a truly contrite heart? Has it become more important to work on the wedding than to prepare for the Groom?

Take a good look at these questions and reflect on them. It's so important not to miss this one because the Bible warns us that:

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'
23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
Matthew 7:21-23

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14