Monday, May 31, 2010

Ch 21: Hearts Broken by Betrayal

If you had been in Jesus' place (not if you had been Jesus), how would you have dealt with Judas?

I would have confronted Judas and x'd him out of the picture (as in he's not a disciple anymore). I think that's my initial answer and response.

To be honest, in the world, I can't think of an instance in which I felt betrayed. Maybe I didn't let others in that close to me? Maybe I was expecting it? Maybe I pulled away at any warning sign of impending betrayal? If I did feel anything leaning towards that direction (in the world), I would confront and then pull away or end the relationship. But because I'm in Christ and a new creation, I started thinking about my answer.

I am supposed to forgive Judas and still let him be a disciple. Love thinks the best. It covers a multitude of sins. Our ministry is one of reconciliation.

I can't imagine the pain Jesus went through in dealing with Judas. Eating together, praying together, traveling together and all the while knowing that in his heart Judas was plotting evil against him. When Jesus commands us to love our enemies, He can do so because He loved those that hated and betrayed Him. Lord help us!

In Christ, I have felt betrayed. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, anything that my husband would do that I perceived as a sign that he wasn't committed or where he failed to communicate effectively, I considered a betrayal. My fears about abandonment led me to go to the extreme on betrayal. Since the Lord has been ministering me in this area, I am starting to look at things in a different way, with His help.

I have to look at my husband as Christ sees him. In his heart he's not plotting evil against me. He loves me. I have to appreciate the work that Christ has done in his life and leave room for growth. I can't pull back and ending the relationship is not an option.

Sometimes dealing with betrayal is dealing with those closest to us. It's opening our hearts and exposing them. However, my hope or expectation is NOT in them. It is in Christ. He is my hope and I expect His Word to come to pass in my life.

Jesus dealt with betrayal. And so will we. Let's deal with it though as Jesus did!



9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
Matthew 24:9-14

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14