Friday, May 21, 2010

BF Homework: Chapter 20

I didn't forget to post yesterday's assignment. It was on my mind to do it but I had a full plate so I didn't get to it. Honestly, more than just being on my mind, it's been on my heart.

I have been thinking a lot about the chapter's content.

Matthew 18:6 (NIV) states:

But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Now Beth, is using this verse in reference to those who may have inflicted abuse on us. But to be honest, as I kept reading, I just thought about me.

Am I that person causing one of these little ones to sin? Have I done, said, instilled, passed down something to my children to cause them to sin? I know that children soak up what they see, so I want to know whether I have consciously or unconsciously misrepresented sin to them? Have I given them the ok to sin with my attitude, emotions, or behavior?

Not only do I want to forgive anyone who has hurt me in my childhood, but I want to seek forgiveness as well.

This week's assignment is to pray. Forgive anyone who has hurt us or abused us but also to seek forgiveness. I believe that the Lord will show us if there is anything there where we have caused our little ones to sin. Then I believe, He will guide us what to do with that information. Some of us will pray and rebuke it. Some of us will talk to our children regarding it. Some of us will write a letter. Whatever the Lord directs, let's just do it.

Please let's not look at this assignment as "oh I am such a horrible mother." Let's look at it through the eyes of our Lord. Just as He wants to mend our broken hearts, He desires the same for our children. This isn't about passing judgement on anyone, including ourselves, it is about breaking free, forgiving, and being forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14