Saturday, April 3, 2010

Home Builder: Getting the Kids Involved

Engelbert the pig is hoplessly pink.


Every month this year, we have challenged ourselves to cut the costs. Although our children are aware of it, they may not fully comprehend the reasons behind it. So Holy Spirit, who is just so good and creative, gave us this idea for the month of March.

Our goal is to reduce our electricity bill.

We wrote the amount of our current bill and will subtract next month's bill from it. Whatever the "profit", it's there's to keep.

For example:
Current bill $50.00
Next bill $40.00
Profit $10.00
Each child gets $5.00 (really less due to tithing and offering)

We wrote our goal for them to see and ways to reduce the electricity bill. I am truly enjoying this so much. My little one runs around the house, turning off lights, saying, "We have a goal, we have a goal!"

And indeed we, the family, have a goal!

They ended up reducing the electricity bill by $5! They were able to understand in physical terms why we save and "see" the savings. It really put things into perspective for our tween.

How can you get your kids involved?

2 comments:

  1. God bless you karen
    I think is very important to involved the girls
    in this and every plan God put in your and your husband heart. I am glad your family are seeing great results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear my tween going around telling me, "Mommy you left the light on."

    I am glad that she is aware of the waste involved in things like leaving the light on and the computer when not in use!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14