Monday, April 5, 2010

Chapter 13: Touring the Ancient Ruins

While touring the ancient ruins, I came to the stark conclusion of why I had been indifferent to a person in my past. And that's why touring the ancient ruins is so important. When touring, there is digging and probing that can only be successful with Holy Spirit.

He brought to my attention something I have to definitely put in the trash-indifference. I had a "he doesn't exist" attitude about someone in my past. This seems neutral and safe. But it's not. If I am not showing the love of Christ although I don't ever talk or see this person, how can I pray and believe God for their salvation? Impossible! Without faith, it is impossible to please God. And anything I do without faith is sin.

I knew in my heart that this is how I had felt about this person and had repented not too long ago but was stumped about why I felt like this. Yet, while I was on this tour, I was able to learn why I had chosen to be indifferent. I was shown indifference. It wasn't an outright hatred nor a deep love, just indifference by my paternal grandparents and thus I had learned to use indifference as a way to shield my heart. The thought process was more like, "I don't hate you nor love you, because in reality you're not that important for me to give you a second thought or any room in my heart." According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary that is what indifference is-of no importance or value one way or the other. Horrible, I know.

Last night as I prayed, I once again asked God's forgiveness for being indifferent towards this person. I forgave my paternal grandparents and renounced all indifference (and a lot of other things). I was able to pray for them with love. And I think that's why touring the ancient ruins is critical. We may behave, feel, and/or think a certain way and have no clue why. Then we revisit the ancient ruins and Jesus shines His light on the darkness, not to condemn or accuse but to forgive, restore, and heal.

My trash list was longer than my trophy case list. BUT, I am grateful even for that. I could've looked at that trash list and thought, "Wow now there's hours of ministration!" but instead I choose to look at it as, "And You allowed all of it to bring me here, to YOU, right now." So it has been worth it. My trophy list outweighs my trash list because Jesus' name is above all names on my trash list. Aleluya!

I thought about how God sometimes works backwards. He saved my husband and I to save our parents and those before us who don't know the Lord. Isn't that wonderful?! He's just so good.

Touring the ancient ruins can be painful but it is necessary and a blessing because God can bring beauty out of those ashes.

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

Isaiah 61:1-4



4 comments:

  1. Glory be to God! I rejoice that the Lord continues to use this study to glorify Himself in your life. God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How loving is our Father that HIS intentions are for us to dig deep within ourselves in this assignment by visiting our ancient ruins....not to cause a burden but rather create a blessing in knowing that throughout it all HIS watchful eyes have been upon our lives.

    Thank you Father!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Karen. You spoke to my heart about this indifference topic. I tend to do that to my husband on occasion. I have been a 1 Peter 3 practicing wife for a few years now but every once in a while, it seems the only way to cope. It is not good I know. I will go pray now and repent. Thanks for this Karen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Rosemi...we all need a reminder to love as Jesus loves:)

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14