Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quiet Voice

Dandelion seeds (Taraxacum officinale)


As I was combing my younger daughter's hair, she and I were having a conversation regarding something she witnessed. I asked her to assess what she considered to be obedience and disobedience in that situation.

After giving me her observations, I told her that she should continue to walk in obedience. But what about the disobedience?

I told her that any disobedience she saw in that situation should help her not to imitate the behavior. Sin is sin and she can't make excuses/justify sin.

She responded, "But what if I forget?

I reply, "Holy Spirit will be there to remind you?"

She continues, "What if I can't hear Him?"

I inquire, "Why wouldn't you be able to hear Him?"

She answers in a soft voice, "Because He speaks quietly."

As I sat there thinking about what she had just said, I didn't want to move but just stay there and meditate on that. I looked up from my daughter's hair in my hand at my husband whose eyes were on me at this moment awaiting my response as well.

I turned her around and reaffirmed her statement that indeed Holy Spirit speaks to us gently and softly but that because Holy Spirit is in her heart she would always be able to hear Him because in the name of Jesus, she has ears that hear and eyes that see.

But it got me thinking. He speaks quietly. And indeed He does. So much so that often we don't hear Him past the blast of our own voices, our desires, our wants, our motives. Sometimes He speaks so softly that we can't hear Him past our schedules and deadlines. At times, He is speaking so gently repeating Himself, yet we miss it because of our stubbornness and pride. Other times, He is whispering in a still small voice but our doubt doesn't allow us to hear Him.

Whether quietly, softly, gently, we know Holy Spirit is speaking.
Are you listening?



As has just been said:
"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion."
Hebrews 3:15

2 comments:

  1. As children of God we have the reassurance we hear the voice of the Holy Spirit and another we will not follow.

    I know many times the Holy Spirit speaks is to avoid what can be a costly mistake and I am thankful that He loves me enough to give me the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful lesson to share with all of us. Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you.

    Splashing,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14