Saturday, March 20, 2010

Baking Bread


My BIL was so nice to give me a yummy recipe for sliced bread. I can't stress enough that the yeast has to poof and what I mean is look like this.



Now yeast can be tested to see if it has poofed by adding 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour (although I didn't put this much flour in mine:) Thanks for the tip Fannie. If the yeast doesn't poof, your bread WON'T rise and thus WON'T bake properly.

I actually cut this recipe in half which made one loaf for me. I don't have a bread mold, I think mine is more like a meatloaf type:)

2 1/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of yeast (one packet)
7 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of butter


Add 1 tablespoon of yeast to 1/2 cup of water to have yeast poof. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Mix 3 1/2 cups of flour adding 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of butter
Add the other 31/2 cups of flour
Knead dough for 10 minutes
Let rise in oiled/buttered bowl covered with damp cloth for 1-2 hours
After it has risen, punch the dough to release air and knead again
Cut in half and put into 2 separate greased bread pans
Allow to rise 1-2 hours
Preheat oven
Bake at 375ยบ 35-40 minutes

I wanted to share pictures, because I am visual so I though it may help you:)

This is what it looks like once the dough is kneaded and ready for rising


This is what it looks like once the dough has risen the first time


This is what it looks like once is has risen the second time in the dish ready to bake

Thanks BIL!

1 comment:

  1. Let us know what the finished bread looks and taste like.....

    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14