Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thankfulness

These last couple of days, the Lord has been really ministering us in the marriage. The Lord is showing things in our hearts that don't belong. We've been talking A LOT. And something Hubby pointed out was that good communication is not just talking about something or even coming up with a solution and living it out for a while. Good communication is talking about something and making a lasting change.

We've been there before where we make changes for the moment. I even write specific things to keep me on track. But in the end, we reverted to our former selves. So neither of us is interested in artificial changes during a honeymoon period. We want change.

I asked Hubby the other day, "How do you feel when you come home?" He answered, "I feel joyful to be home. I love coming home." He then smiled and looked at me and added, "It wasn't always like that." I am crying thinking about that because it was true. He dreaded coming home and being home and so did I. So to hear him say that, I am thankful. I am thankful to our Father, who loved us too much to leave us conformed and miserable. I am thankful that He restored us and not just a marriage. And I believe that was the key. He and I didn't want and weren't looking for God to fix our marriage. We wanted God to fix us. And He has. He has given us eyes that are fixed on HIM and not each other for His glory.

Our Co-Pastor once preached something like,
"I don't want to be the best designer, or employee, or father, or husband. I want to be the best child of God because when I am then I'll be the best husband, father, etc." I rejoiced in those words last night, today, and will continue to meditate on them.

And I will continue to be thankful for Hubby who loves me and sees me as a finished work although he understands I am a work in progress.



3 comments:

  1. I remember a time when I would cringe when I would hear my husband keys opening our door.

    This afternoon my husband was let out early from his job due to the snow storm and I immediately was thankfull and wide eyed to see him and smiling. Thankful that the Lord gave him a safe retun back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, what a beautiful testimony of how God changes our hearts.

    Thank you for being so open and transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. There was a time when I would get really bad anxiety attacks because I wanted Victor to take me out. I was always dissapointed in him and he knew it. I'm so glad the Lord changed my heart before it was too late. Love, Rosemi

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14