Saturday, February 27, 2010

Monthly Round Up: February

I am so amazed at how much the Lord has turned around homeschooling for us. I've done things I never thought I would do (reading on my bed with the girls cuddled around) and we're loving it. The Lord really did a work in my "teacher" mentality and helped me so much to see that indeed learning takes place anywhere, anytime.

So this month has been really about that--change. The girls are waking up a lot earlier and that has helped ALOT. My tween and I are really talking about what we're learning and not just rote learning which has been invaluable to me because I get to see her thoughts.

My tot is advancing in reading and math. She's learning to much which reminds me of how fast she's growing. There are some really good resources here. As we plan our curriculum for next year, there are a lot of things I want to use from there. Sometimes the old way works better than these "new and improved" methods.

The girls have also been learning from one another. My tween has enjoyed reading to her little sister which I love to see. They talk about what they're reading and I am thanking the Lord for the bond they have.

We also started working on a time capsule of sorts with the girls, more my tween though. She's keeping a history of her life at this age, things she wants her future children and grandchildren (if the Lord permits) to know about her life at 12 years-old. It's so beautiful to see her work on it and thoughtfully select her history. This idea came from an assignment in God's World News which we enjoy so much.

Although we haven't done much outings, we have gotten out of the house more, which is only the Lord. We're anticipating more outings as the weather gets warmer, God willing.

So how was your month? Any changes?

2 comments:

  1. Well homeschooling for us always changes ;0)... the boys are always eager to learn and so is Kayli. We've decided to read books outside of our curriculum and we finish both books on Monday actually. While she colors after hs is done I read and she listens. She's doing a lot of unschooling also which is really learning through life. Math is her best subject so far and reading is a breeze which is a huge blessing. We read through the Bible in her curriculum and we're currently learning about the early explorers and discussing what the word says about it.

    We're planning more outings in the Spring and I'm soon going to start Kayli with journaling since she's interested in stories and story telling right now, plus I think that will help her with her writing and spelling.

    But I'm enjoying it. Isaiah is a sponge and is learning so much for God's glory. And David as well.

    I am excited to hear about Ali journaling I think it's a blessing. I read so many diaries from 12- 15 year olds from the time of the holocaust. She never knows who will read what her life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful that we are able to get through what we have planned for the day even with a baby sitting on my lap. My daughter has enjoyed reading the bible to her baby sister and I soo enjoy seeing that.

    I have been keeping up with my journaling of my baby that my tween also shares in.

    I welcome the Spring and Summer for some outside learning!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14