Monday, February 15, 2010

Chapter 6: To Experience God's Peace

1. Name a specific and recent situation in which you did not have peace? What did it reveal about your heart?


Before we went to bed last Saturday 2/6/10, Hubby and I prayed for God's help and strength to get up and pray, include our weekly blessing, and start on our new character study. We went to bed in peace.

We woke up on Sunday in peace. We didn't have any milk so Hubby went to the store to buy some. I was explaining something to Hubby and he was like, "Uh huh, uh huh." This is what I consider him yes-ing me but not really paying attention. So he was off.

Holy Spirit quickly began to minister me that indeed Hubby had not paid attention but not to lose my peace about it. I prayed for the Lord's help as I continued getting ready. I earnestly didn't want to lose it over this.

Hubby comes back and guess what? Holy Spirit was right. He hadn't paid attention. At first, I just looked at him and was thinking, "why doesn't he just admit-Karen, oops I wasn't paying attention, that one flew right over me." Say anything other than what he did say. Hubby sits down in peace and looks at me and says, "I just don't get this. I don't understand." I look at him like, "of course you don't get this because you weren't paying attention!" Instead I said something like, "Honey, please don't lie to me. It's not that you don't understand or get it. You were not paying attention. I prefer you to be honest and say that than to lie to me." At this point, Hubby's demeanor changes because he knows what's about to come. He knows I HATE lies and become passionate about voicing my utter HATRED of lies.

After some words, I sit down and know the Lord is tugging at my heart, "You're not being honest. Tell him what is hurting you." So I say in my most matter-of-fact voice, "Honey, I am upset because you weren't honest about paying attention." But in my heart, I was hurting. I didn't want Hubby to talk to me and thank God he didn't. I wanted the Lord to talk to me. But I never did get to really pray pray with the family, have the weekly blessing, or start on our new character study. He asked for forgiveness and so did I. We had peace.

Days later, still in peace, the question is still tugging at me, "Why did I get so fleshly? Why did it hurt me?" Hubby and I sat down and I really wanted the Lord to minister me. Holy Spirit let me see that while I have forgiven my father for events in my childhood, I HATE lies because he lied. I wasn't HATING lies because my Heavenly Father HATES lies; I HATED lies because they made me vulnerable to my husband hurting me. I figured if we're honest to one another then everything is out in the open-there's nothing hidden therefore things are secure-I have peace. My security came from truth. But it is only Holy Spirit that should guide me into all truth (John 16:13), not my husband. Jesus is who I have to know to be secure.

I am so grateful to Holy Spirit for revealing this. This was something "small" that happened. It didn't last long and wasn't dragged out, but it wasn't and isn't God's best for me. He wants us to be free! And I get into agreement with HIM for our freedom, not only from the "big" things but the "little" day-to-day things as well.


2. List three Scriptures that bring you back into the reality of God when you do lose your peace.

1. Hebrews 13:5-6
5Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you." 6So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

I love knowing that He will never leave nor forsake me...I am never alone!


2. Jeremiah 29:11
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I love knowing He has it all figured out for me; I don't have to figure it out-He already has and it's good!


3. John 14:21
21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

This one really keeps me grounded. The only way I can show God I love Him is OBEDIENCE!


4 comments:

  1. I am thankful that the Lord even today is ministering areas in my life that I thought were over and done with. HE knows it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! God deliver me from thinking I am done in the name of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know is that He is not done with me yet
    There still a lot of work to be done, room for improvement. I trust that He know when and how is going to be done, but I pray that I keep myself open, honest and available to Him.

    A situation that want to affect my peace was with my bigger son, when he made the wrong choice and He does not do what he know to do and what will be pleasing ( obedience ) to God. But He is in control and all is well in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14