Monday, February 1, 2010

Chapter 4: To Glorify God

I must say this has been my favorite homework assignment thus far. Hubby and I got together and interceded and it felt great. We trust the Lord is doing a work.

And just as evidence of that work (although we need none since we walk by faith:), let me share something that happened. Last night as I was getting ready to do the Bible study for this chapter, I go to get my Breaking Free book and sit down. When I look at the cover, I notice it is now wrinkled and bent whereas it had formally been nice and neat. I look at the cover and think immediately who could this have been? Was it me being disorganized and that's what caused the damage? No, it was on the shelf. Then I start to think of the next possible candidates. The lot fell on my tot. Earlier during the day, she had been touching things on the bookshelf.

I don't know about you but I consider it funny that God would allow this book of all books to get bent while I'm studying about being free about having my things touched. So I just sat there and calmly explained to her that she was not to touch other people's things without permission because things can get damaged.

So I left it alone and asked God, "Why does this bother me, seeing the cover bent and not nice and neat anymore?" God answered, "Is it that you don't believe that once something is damaged, it can not be repaired? Do you believe that I could do that in someone's life? Take a damaged life and repair it? Have I done it with you?" His beauty...ahhhh! I got it and am still getting it. Now when I look at my book, I see God's restoring hands whereas I would have formally seen a damaged book.

Now let's dig into the word.

In Exodus 34:29, we read that Moses' face had become radiant because he had spoken to the Lord. But why? We don't read that Moses' face was radiant after his first meeting with God when he received the two stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant (Exodus 32:15). Both times, he fasted and met at the same place. What made the difference?

In his first meeting with God (this is not including Moses previous meeting with God in Exodus 3), we see a completely different Moses. In Exodus 19:21-24, Moses is actually arguing with God. The NLT version describes Moses response to God's instruction in Exodus 19:23:

"But, LORD, the people cannot come up on the mountain!" Moses protested. "You already told them not to. You told me to set boundaries around the mountain and to declare it off limits."

Moses eventually obeyed, but not without having his say in the matter. Once Moses comes down with the stone tablets and sees the people's idolatrous revelry, in terrible anger, he threw the stone tablets to the ground, smashing them at the foot of the mountain (Exodus 32:19).

After Moses' intercession for the people, we see things change. Exodus 33 tells us that it was Moses' custom to set up the tent known as the Tent of Meeting where the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend (v.7,11).
In Exodus 33:12-12-15, something special takes place. Here Moses asks the Lord, "Please, if this is really so, show me your intentions (way in NIV), so I will understand you more fully and do exactly what you want me to do. Moses reminds the Lord, "Besides, don't forget that this nation is your very own people." Moses declares, "If you don't go with us personally, don't let us move a step from this place. If you don't go with us, how will anyone ever know that your people and I have found favor with you? How else will they know we are special and distinct from all other people on the earth?"

Do you see the difference? Here Moses is no longer protesting, he is:
1. surrendering his will
2. having a teachable spirit
3. fearing of the Lord
4. putting the Israelites in God's hands
5. determined to walk in obedience
6. desiring for intimacy with the Lord
7. distinguishing himself and thus consecrating himself to the Lord

I love how the Lord responds to this,

"I will indeed do what you have asked,
for you have found favor with me,
and you are my friend."
(Exodus 33:17)

And I really love how Moses responds,

"Now show me your glory" (Exodus 33:18 NIV)

I love it!!!

In his anger, Moses had destroyed something that the Lord created. Now a crushed Moses is going before the Lord and is being shown God's glory. When Moses sets out with the two cut tablets of stone like the first ones that he had to prepare, he once again goes to meet with the Lord at Mount Sinai. However, this time when the Lord finished speaking to him, Moses immediately fell to the ground and worshiped (Exodus 34:8).

Moses got it. A complete and total surrender will allow us to be the worshippers the Father seeks: true worshippers that worship the Father in spirit and truth (John 4:23) and only then will we see HIS GLORY.

A total surrender will allow us to see God's glory-God revealing Himself to us. We will then become a true worshipper which will allow us to glorify God-God revealing Himself to others through our lives. And all of this only happens in His Presence.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! THE WORD OF GOD IS SO GOOD AND TRULY SETS YOU FREE! WE CAN HAVE A MENTAL KNOWLEDGE OF THINGS SUCH AS "HIS PRESENCE IS ALL WE NEED" (WHICH IS TRUE), HOWEVER ONCE YOU SEE IT IN HIS WORD LIKE THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS SHOWN IT IN THIS POST THROUGH HIS WORD, IT IS "REVELATION".-- I IMAGINE THAT THIS BROKENNESS OF MOSES IS WHAT LET HIM TO BECOME THE HUMBLEST MAN ON EARTH (NUMBERS 12:3"THE MAN, MOSES, WAS EXCEEDINGLY HUMBLE, MORE THAN ANY PERSON ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.")

    LORD, LET YOUR WORD BECOME A REVELATION IN ALL OF OUR LIVES AND THAT WE MAY SURRENDER OUR WILL TO YOU SO THAT YOU CAN MOLD US TO BECOME WHO YOU CREATED US TO BE IN YOU. IN JESUS' NAME...

    THANK YOU FATHER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I surprised you today:) and didn't talk about it last night with you Hubby:) Glad the Holy Spirit brought revelation to you...to God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In his anger Moses lost a blessing, being able to cross over to the promise land. I do not want to catch a glimpse of my blessing and not be able to enjoy it in it's totality by serving a stumbling block to my own freedom. Complete surrender is what the Lord requires. Help me Lord to know that you are in control..and that's how it should be.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14