Monday, January 4, 2010

Welcome to a Journey to Freedom

After reading the introduction to Breaking Free by Beth Moore, I just sat in my living crying and praying to the Lord. I prayed that God would set us free. That we wouldn't hinder Him in any way. And it will continue to be my prayer throughout this study. Just remember, this book is to be read alongside the Bible and not instead of the Bible.

Why am I so passionate about being free? Because I know what it is to be captive.

I was in Christ but a slave to my emotions. This caused not only me to be in bondage but struck fear in the heart of my family. They didn't know what to expect. I could go from "blessed" to miserable in seconds. It was a miserable existence and indeed not the abundant life promised in Jesus Christ.

What changed?
I did. I had to become completely sick of my sin and totally committed to not going back and being captive to my emotions. Acting in the flesh is sin and I had to admit it. I sought help through confession and ministration. I asked for accountability. I wanted those around me (especially Hubby) to call me out on this and whenever I attempted to manipulate. This hurt my flesh so much. No longer could I hide behind excuses like, "He started it, look at what he does, he's not obeying the Lord." There was no mask to hide behind. I was confronted with, "Yes, he may be in the flesh, but what about you. You still have to obey the Word no matter what."

My lowest point was when I heard the Lord tell me, "You don't love me." I dared to argue with the Lord convinced I did indeed love Him. He told me, "Those that love me obey my commands." It hurt me so much and pierced my heart. But it changed me as only God's Word can. I am so grateful that God loves me enough to tell me the truth. When we know the truth, it will set us free (John 8:32)!!!!

The Lord continues to minister to me and reminds me that what I had to do to get free will keep me free. The process includes: confession, seeking outside help, firm decisions, prayer, fasting. I know that there is nothing I can do in my human strength to get free or stay free, it is all the Lord. I do also know that we have to make firm decisions in the Lord and stay committed to walking in freedom through complete surrender and total obedience to His Word through dependence on His help. Lord help us!

That's why I am so excited about this study. I know that ministration and liberation is a continual process and not an event at a retreat or one day deal. It is continuous until the coming of Christ because He who began a good work in us will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6)!

Father, I come to You in the name of Jesus and dedicate this study and each person involved to You. It is our desire to draw closer to You. For that to happen, I understand that it is necessary for us to decrease so that You may increase. I pray Father, that You would help us in this journey. I pray that Holy Spirit would seek and search our hearts and reveal anything and everything that separates us from You. I want You to deal with us in such a way that our lives will indeed never be the same. We don't want to hinder You. I surrender my will asking just as Jesus did that Your will and not mine be done. I pray that You strengthen each of us and make us determined to get to the roots and not just make artificial and cosmetic changes. I want all the garbage out that I may love you sincerely and whole heartedly. Please help us. Help us not to give up or loose hope in the midst of the process. I rebuke all discouragement and fear from now in the name of Jesus. I declare victory for Your glory in each of our lives in Jesus' name. Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Amen! Sis I am in total agreement with your prayer... it's funny how God works, in my mind I had set that I was going to do the Beth Moore study "So Long, Insecurity" which I am still planning to do, in the meantime while her book debuts I was planning to do "Power of a praying wife" then I realized that I had the journal that goes with the book and not the actual book. So I'm like what am I going to do in the meantime. The Beth Moore Esther study was such a blessing and would have been an even bigger blessing had I done it in a bible group setting. So a few nights ago I ordered the Breaking Free book, the Lord did not let me forget that this was an option as well. So I know that the Holy Spirit already has a portion ready for me.....Glory to God. You can consider me in....and I can't wait to start.

    God Bless you- Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory to God sister! I am praying because I am expecting to see God's glory in our lives as well as opposition from the devil. So pray, pray, pray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BLOG, ESPECIALLY THE AUTHOR!!:), HOWEVER, WHAT IS MOST BEAUTIFUL IS TO SEE JESUS INSIDE OF OTHERS. BEING FREE BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS AWESOME AND MIRACLES THAT ONLY OUR WONDERFUL SAVIOR PERFORM. THE TRANSFORMATION SEEN IN YOU AND IN OTHERS TRULY LET'S US SEE HOW REAL AND GOOD AND MIGHTY OUR GOD IS. I PRAY THAT THIS STUDY MAY DRAW YOU AND ALL THE SISTERS THAT ARE JOINING YOU IN THIS STUDY CLOSER TO JESUS CHRIST.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You partial Hubby but honest since you're also my BIC...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I have for the first time feel that I can actually be free. I have been held hostage to my emotions for too long. I tend to lash out and then blame the situation or the actions of another. Finally, I felt a change in my heart and I know this will give me the strength to finally be free..free from my flesh and sin. I am sure I will continue to stumble but the future looks brighter than ever. God is truly working on many of us as all over the blogosphere I am reading about women making true changes for the Lord this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We give all the Glory to God for you Richele! Thank you for sharing so sincerely with us. My prayer is that all of us would be set free to love Jesus wholeheartedly and serve Him faithfully until His coming!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14