Friday, January 15, 2010

Scripture Memorization #2

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?
Or am I trying to please men?
If I were still trying to please men,
I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10

As I finished writing the verse and began looking over it, two things immediately jumped out at me.

Here Paul is asking two questions:

1. Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?
This made me think of what we're willing to do to "feel" loved. When we are seeking man's approval, we have an emptiness that has not been filled by Jesus Christ. It may sound cut and dry but I love that the Word is. Either you're living to win the approval of God or man's approval. Either you are content with God's love or you're not. God commands us not to have any other gods before him (Exodus 20:3). So if man's approval is more important, you may have a god before the ONE and ONLY GOD.

2. Or am I trying to please men?
Umm, this made me think about me being someone else's god! Am I trying to make a person "happy"? God deliver me from not loving the way His Word commands. Sure, I may be able to put a smile on your face by saying what you want to hear or giving you what you want, but that smile will fade and your emptiness and mine will remain and we'll both be in sin. Me for trying to be your god and you for worshipping me. Let's not. Let's instead please God and not men.

At the end, Paul makes it even clearer. I can't do both-please men and God. So I have to make a choice-be a servant of Christ or a slave to trying to please men.

I have made my choice. Have you made yours?

1 comment:

  1. May my focus always be on pleasing the Lord..being HIS servant with the help of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14