Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reconciliation

Forgive

The word reconciliation has two prefixes I would like to consider:

re-again, back
con-with, together

Usually when we think of reconciliation, we have a "let's pick up where we left off" mentality. But I want to challenge you today to consider that God might have a different perspective on reconciliation in specific circumstances.

Let us consider Jacob and Esau.

After having been sent to Paddan Aram (Genesis 28:1-5) by his father Isaac and living there for over 20 years, God commands Jacob to return to the land of his fathers and relatives (Genesis 31:3). Don't you just love that God is so specific. God here tells Jacob to return to a specific location not a relationship. Would he have to make peace with Esau along the way? Yes. Would he live with Esau and reconnect as brothers. No.

When I read this, a few days ago, I actually thought it somewhat "sad" for lack of a better word. Here were two brothers, twins, and they would not share in each other's lives. God had a plan for each of the them that didn't include the other. God's will is perfect.

We are called to forgive and ask for forgiveness, to live in peace with everyone as far as it depends on us if possible (Romans 12:18). But reconciliation (again together, back with) may not be the Lord's will.

Shortly before I came to Christ, the Lord (it could only have been Him to put this desire in my heart) prompted me to call a friend whom I had hung out with a lot but an offense on my part had shattered the relationship. I obeyed and called her and asked for forgiveness. She later called me to pick up where we had left off months ago, but I already knew I was heading towards one direction and she another. The friendship (us hanging out and gossiping) would not resume. Shortly after that, I came to be reconciled to God through Christ (Romans 5:10) and pray that what He led me to do towards her leads her to the same.

We have the ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18). Maybe through forgiving and seeking forgiveness and living in peace we will accomplish that others are reconciled to God, even if not to ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, what a good topic on forgiveness and reconcilation. I have had to call up numerous friends after I realized the truth and liberty that comes with forgiving and being forgiven.

    Thank you, also, for passing by and commenting on the HS article I wrote on. I'm glad to hear God is doing tremendous things on your side of the track as well. xox

    I do appreciate you,

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times I thought I had forgiven someone until the Holy Spirit would have me re-visit the situation over. Although we may think the situation has been resolved, the Holy Spirit will let us know the areas that still need to be healed, whom needs forgiveness and even when we must ask for forgiveness.

    We must ask the Lord to give us a forgiving spirit and a humble attitude.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14