Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Getting it Done

With one of our goals this year to reduce our grocery shopping bill(to what we don't know yet, since we weren't tracking our spending per se before, so maybe after this month we'll have a clearer idea although I think that last month we did come under $200.00, I believe), I am still working out the kinks.

Kinks
1. I don't want to go more than twice to the grocery store a week. Now this may seem like a lot but sometimes they're not stocked up so a return trip is necessary.

2. Who should do the shopping? As much as I know Hubby is more than willing to do it, I would like to lessen his to do list and take it on, or at least the majority of it. Having a 24hr Pathmark comes in handy if we have to go together.

3. Budgeting and Planning
Now two important tools I am using this year includes an excel spreadsheet to actually track our spending and a master list (you can find this under their links section on the right of the screen) to know what is a real good deal. Well, actually it's three tools. The third is my wallet.



I am using the envelope system for the groceries, misc. store shopping (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.), and Must Use Q's (coupons I want to use and don't want to forget about). If you're interested in making one yourself click here. I have found it so much easier to know how much cash I have in each envelope and store my receipts (momentarily, when I get home, they go here) and change instead of shoving it into my pockets.

4. Organization
I am actually writing down our meals instead of going by my monthly meals because sometimes plans change so I can't stick to the monthly menu. I admire those that can plan their meals weekly and shop accordingly. I am going to try but it can be hard, or maybe I just haven't gotten into the swing of it, since we are picky about our meats. I am actually in the process of trying really since I bought our veggies for the week and planned our meals around them. So we'll see how that works.

Last week on Friday, I actually cooked once and served three times. I made two lasagnas and a french fry casserole. (Note on casserole: frozen veggies have been replaced by au natural ones and I am also on the lookout for a natural cream recipe to replace the condensed soups since they contain MSG). So I cooked on Friday and it took us all the way up to Monday for lunch. I will try to do this more often but will have to be more organized about it.


I not only bought our veggies for the week but also chopped them up (the food processor actually did) and then I stored them into containers. This is one less step in cooking throughout the week:)

Are you working out any kinks in your shopping system? What do you find works or doesn't work for you?

1 comment:

  1. Getting more organized for my shopping trips including looking at my circulars and matching up the coupons in advance.

    I def. want to ex out the frozen veggies and go with natural esp. when the natural veggies cost about the same a frozen.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14