Monday, January 25, 2010

Chapter 3: To Know God and Believe Him

Question #3
What gives you the most problem when it comes to believing God?

Question #4
What practical steps could you take to increase your trust in God?

Was this hard for you to answer or was it just me? Or maybe it's my answer that made it difficult? Believe me, I'm not trying to make this a riddle. I will attempt to be as clear as the Holy Spirit guides me. Since He's been talking to me on it, I will only try to explain it.

So here goes.

To answer Question #3, I would have to say control. By nature I was a planner, organizer, and controller. Everything in my life was controlled by me. In the world, I really can't think of a goal that I set that I didn't accomplish. I don't say this to boast at all, but so that you can see the magnitude of the control I had on my life. There was no upsetting my plans (for there was always a plan B just in case), there was no changing my plans (since of course they had been planned perfectly), there was no unexpected (for it had already been covered), and there was no giving up on my plans (because where there is a will, there is a way). Get the picture of who I was?

I confess the Lord has done a wonderful job in ministering me in this area. But since I've been praying about this, the Lord has been showing me that whereas I thought I had reached rubber band status in regards to flexibility, I still have a cardboard status to Him. (I had to laugh as He and I discussed that:) Cardboard is better than concrete, so I rejoice.

Today, I think it's less about me trying to control what happens in my life and more about me knowing the details. I don't want to control what happens, I want to know what is going happen. (Stay with me on this one.) God has a way of telling me something without really telling me and I have the peace at the moment. But, after I start to think and think on it, I feel (key word: feel) more like uhh? I just want to know all the details God. Lay it all out for me, so I can see the big picture. But how many of you know that God doesn't work that way?

This is still a control issue, because I have to ask myself or really He asks me, "Why do you have to know all the details?"
So this takes me to Question #4
What practical steps could you take to increase your trust in God?

1. Don't think questions.
I am committed to receive whatever the Lord tells me by faith in Jesus' name with His help. If for whatever reason, I desire to talk with Him in more detail (HA!) about what He said, I will do just that--talk (pray) to Him and not think about it.

This may sound very 101, but isn't God's Word so applicable like that? I love it!

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Philippians 4:6
(NLT)

So now it's your turn. How did you answer Questions #3 and #4?

5 comments:

  1. How joyful I am that I have received my book. I am excited about the journey of breaking free. As a believer I know the Lord has already paid the price for my freedom however I am thankful that HE is so loving and merciful that HE gives us the precise directions on maintaining our freedom with the help of HIS precious HOLY SPIRIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question # 3 got me thinking also.
    I will have to say that it was doubt or lack of trust. When Jesus found me, it was hard for me to believe in everything He said that I am. As righteous as He said I am. That I am a new person,forgive and so on. I am so thankful to Him for making me understand that I don't have to deserve it , but I just need to believe it,and I do. He removed a lot of obstacles in me.

    Question #4
    I need my mind to be transformed, renew by His word ( daily ).
    Also to get to know him better through prayer ( daily ) a close relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the Lord great!!!! That He has given us all we need before we ask it. That He arms us with the right weapons (Bible, prayer, worship, praise, fellowship) to be victorious in Him. That He is willing to break through all of the junk in our lives and free us. He's just amazing. I truly received from Maria's comment "you don't have to deserve it, just believe it" I like that plain and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM BEING SO BLESSED BY THESE STUDIES AND I AM NOT EVEN A PART OF IT. SO IT APPEARS! MY WIFE SPEAKS TO ME MUCH ABOUT IT THROUGHOUT THE WEEK THAT IT FEELS LIKE I AM DOING THE STUDY MYSELF. HOWEVER, I MUST COMMENT THAT I TRULY HAVE SEEN GOD'S GLORY IN YOUR LIFE AND THAT WHILE HE IS STILL MOLDING, I CAN SAY THAT EACH DAY I SEE THE GOLD GETTING CLEARER AND CLEARER IN YOUR LIFE AS HE HAS PUT YOU THROUGH THE FIRE. I PRAY THAT THIS STUDY MAY CONTINUE TO MINISTER YOU AND ALL OF OUR SPIRITUAL AND GOD LOVING SISTERS WHO HAVE DECIDED TO BREAK FREE AND LIVE JESUS TO THE FULLEST!!! PRAISE THE LORD...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Honey (you just brought a smile to my face:) You're such a balcony person!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14