Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Setting up Fences

fence Pictures, Images and Photos
Adultery, just the word invokes certain thoughts and emotions. Have you ever thought about how a woman/man could fall? I have. And what I've noticed is that neither man nor woman just fall from one day to the next. It happens in small steps, letting your guard down slowly, little by little.

The Lord has ministered Hubby and I on certain no no's to avoid letting our guard down and thus holding each other accountable (example: not ministering the opposite sex alone, for more on fence building click here). When the Lord first began to minister us on this, I thought I was being overly cautious and extreme. But the Lord put the peace that this was His will for us and not our own.

My husband remembers his breakthrough coming when I discussed with him 2 Timothy 2:22,

"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

The Lord here directs us to flee from the evil desires, not to pray about it or fast, or counterattack, but clearly to flee! Once you flee what should you do? Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Speak to your wife/husband, elder, pastor about what happened. Pray and fast and make sure you have someone to hold you accountable. I know that if my family in Christ saw me stepping out of the faith I profess, they would correct me. Turning a blind eye, not bringing correction, avoiding confrontation because of awkwardness is not love. Love me enough to care if I loose my salvation please.

The enemy was trying to make Hubby think that fleeing meant he was scared. But what does the Bible tell us? Philippians 2:12 clearly states,

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"

We should have the fear of the Lord, and this fear make us flee from sin.

The Lord began building these fences rather quickly in our marriage, and I am grateful that although we didn't understand them, we obeyed. I now see the fruit. We can talk honestly and without fear regarding this subject. Our salvation is more important than any "feeling" of hurt, shame, or guilt.

Have you allowed the Lord to build some fences in your life, your marriage? None of us is strong enough that we can sustain ourselves. A big mistake is to think that you don't need fences or accountability. Remember Galatians 6:7,

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

If you sow self-confidence and self-reliance, you will reap destruction. Proverbs 16:18,

"Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall."

3 comments:

  1. Very important post!!! I do thank the Lord for what He did early in our marriage. It was difficult at the time to understand, but I thank the Lord that we submitted to His Spirit and not our reasoning. Today, our marriage is definitely blessed and secured in Him because of those fences that He has helped us built and the confidence that we have in Him through one another. Thank you Jesus! Please help the body of Christ build these fences so that the strong man of adultery would have no place in your body, in Jesus' name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very important post!!! I do thank the Lord for what He did early in our marriage. It was difficult at the time to understand, but I thank the Lord that we submitted to His Spirit and not our reasoning. Today, our marriage is definitely blessed and secured in Him because of those fences that He has helped us built and the confidence that we have in Him through one another. Thank you Jesus! Please help the body of Christ build these fences so that the strong man of adultery would have no place in your body, in Jesus' name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An important factor in any relationship is COMMUNICATION especially in a marriage. The enemy tries to introduce feelings of fear and guilt in order to not voice what the person is feeling or the temptation he/she may be experiencing.

    Admitting and recognizing that ministration may be needed is essential to the prosperity of a marriage.

    I needed to have my perspective renewed by the Lord on relationships.

    The "I" needs to be put to the side and seek intervention from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14