Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Are You Worldly?

Pondering Greatness

Yes, there I said it, the W word. Worldly. Not wordy but worldly.
Well, are you?

Immediately, thoughts of, "Me? No, never! I have given up TV, and the movies, and I dress and talk differently. So me? Worldly? Never!"

But let's see what the Word says.

We know that according to the Word, if we love the world, the love of the Father is not in us (1 John 2:15) But what does it mean to love the world?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Simply put, to love the world is to conform to the pattern of this world-to love what God hates and to hate what God loves, to approve of what He disapproves, to condone what is an abomination to Him, to pervert justice, to condemn the innocent.

And what is the pattern of this world? 1 John 2:16 states:

For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.

Within this list, there is a long list. In simple terms, to love this world is to conform to it's way of doing things as opposed to obeying God's Word. Now you may say, "You see, I knew we weren't talking about me, because I am all about obeying the Word."

Well, let's see.

What do you think about having 20 kids?
The world says you're crazy! God says you are blessed to have a quiver full of them. (Psalm 127:5)

What do you think about going to family functions where Jesus is not honored?
The world says blood is thicker than water. God says if you do not hate father and mother, you are not worthy to be His disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Why do you dress the way you do?
The world says first impressions are everything. God says to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience (Colossians 3:12)

These are just some questions. We should ask the Holy Spirit to search our hearts daily. Why did I do that? What are the real intentions of my heart? Did I do that to bring glory to You Father, or so that I would get recognition and/or praise? Did I do that because it's easier to bend (thus break) the rules than to stand firm and suffer persecution?

Whenever I find myself making the comfortable choices, I know that worldliness has crept in. Yes, there, I used the W word again. Or didn't you know? Yes, worldliness can creep back in our lives (if indeed it has ever left). We must be sober and vigilant (1 Peter 5:8). One sure way to know if I have worldly thinking is to ask myself, "Am I viewing this (whatever this may be) through the Word of God or through my emotions, my past experiences, my rationalization?"

Jesus warns us to watch and pray so that we will not fall into temptation (Mark 14:38). And temptation abounds. So let us be careful not to be bending (breaking) the rules, not making exceptions, not taking the easy way out, not conforming. Let's take a stand and stay standing firm (Ephesians 6:13-14).

Remember: If you're not standing up (for the Truth), you are bowing down (to the devil, the world, your flesh).


2 comments:

  1. I PRAY THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT MAY HELP US. TALK ABOUT A WORD IN ITS DUE SEASON. I BELIEVE THAT IF WE AS BELIEVERS ARE SINCERE AND OPEN TO THE HOLY SPIRIT HE WILL SHOW US THAT WE NEED TO CONTINUE PRAYING FOR A RENEWING OF THE MIND. AS BELIEVERS WE TEND TO FORGET THAT OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST SAID THAT BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE PERSECUTED FOR MY NAME SAKE, HOWEVER NOW A DAYS WE RUN FROM PERSECUTION AND SEEK ACCEPTANCE. QUESTION? IF HE WHO IS EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING CREATED WAS THROUGH HIM--JESUS- HAS ACCEPTED US AS HIS CHILDREN, WHY DO WE SEEK ACCEPTANCE FROM ANYONE ELSE? HELP US JESUS TO HATE THE THINGS THAT YOU HATE AND LOVE THE THINGS YOU LOVE. HELP US SEE ALL SITUATIONS THROUGH YOUR EYES SO THAT WE CAN MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON YOUR HEART AND NOT OUR EMOTIONS. IN JESUS' NAME. AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we have to remember that we are temples of the Holy Spirit and our way of speaking, behaving, our reactions can and will sadden the Holy Spirit that dwells in us. The Bible cautions us about this.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14