Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Warning Against Laziness

Storm - House!
We're going over tween's Bible questions, and they are wrong. How can this be when the Bible references are in bold, italicized, or underlined? I ask her and she calmly states, " I thought I knew the answer." Because she thought she knew the answer, she didn't bother to look up the Bible passages.

But God is so good and is never surprised although I was. (I mean really bold, italicized, underlined, why not look them up???) Earlier that morning we had read Proverbs 18:9, "One who is slack in his work, is brother to one who destroys." She read it out loud and I followed. As I heard the words she was reading, I paid close attention thinking about the consequences of laziness in my life. Holy Spirit spoke to me and reminded me of Proverbs 14:1, "A wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."

So let's look at the verse closer. This verse warns us that laziness and destruction go hand in hand. Who seeks to destroy, divide, and kill if not the devil? So, if we are lazy, we are brother to one who destroys (devil). Our laziness can lead to the destruction of our homes.

Surely, sister, you're taking it too far. Let's see. In Matthew 7, Jesus speaks about two men who built their homes. There are some noteworthy similarities about these men. Both of them heard the Word of God and both experienced the storm. Yet, only one house withstood the storm-the house built on the rock. Why? Because this wise man not only heard the Word but he also put it into practice. His house standing was the fruit of his labor-his obedience. The foolish man's ruined house was evidence of his disobedience to the Word of God.

You see in the Lord, there are no successful shortcuts (Proverbs 21:5). We can go to church, attend retreats, complete Bible reading plans year after year, pray to our heart's content, BUT if we are not practicing His Word, we are headed for destruction. Laziness is a sure path to destruction.

We can see the messes in our homes, hear the defiance in our child's tone, and view the tiredness in our husband's demeanor and choose to be lazy. I'll clean up tomorrow. My child is only going through a stage; they will grow out of it. Once we finish the task or job at hand, then my husband will rest. Let's stop being lazy and address these issues immediately. Let's practice the Word daily and not turn a deaf ear, blind eye, and paralyzed will to these issues.

Remember the storm will come. Will your house stay standing?

2 comments:

  1. Sister this was such an awesome post, I think it's very important to hear the words of the Lord. Even Jesus Himself said those who have ears to hear, listen. Why would Jesus say that???? don't all people hear? There are times when I speak to Kayli, and she tells me Mami I'm sorry I promise I will be obedient and listen. I constantly tell her, obedience and listening are things we do, not things we say we will do. I can say I love you until I turn blue in the face but if I don't demonstrate it with my actions,it doesn't count.

    "What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to His voice? Listen! obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams. Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubborness as bad as worshipping idols." - 1 Sam. 15:22-23

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times when I notice that the Holy Spirit is dealing with my husband (or tween) in a certain area. The LORD will tell me at times "I am dealing with him right now" I can easily stand back and say great and wash my hands of the situation. However, I want to be attentive to the voice of the Holy Spirit for when He tells me "Now go to him, he is ready to talk about it".

    I don't want to be foolish and ignore that the Lord can use me for HIS glory to give a specific word to my husband or daughters.

    I need the help of the LORD to continually have Jesus as the foundation of my life, my marriage and my home.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14