Saturday, November 14, 2009

How to Pack a Box

Collection week for Operation Christmas Child begins on Monday, November 16, 2009 until the 23rd.

So if you haven't packed your box yet, here's how:

1. Gather
Get all your supplies together to get ready to work:) You should have your boxes, wrapping/tissue paper, scissors, tape, labels, goodies, photos/letters you may want to include all at hand

2. Divide
I like to separate and group like items together. Categories like dental, bath, hair, etc.

3. Start
Label the lid of your box first and start packing. Pack it (but don't close the lid) just in case you have to add more items. I like to start and finish one age group before moving to the next.

4. Finish
Once all the boxes have been packed, I go back again to see if the lid will close. If it doesn't time to repack and stuff. I like to send FULL boxes so space cannot be wasted. (Fill the cup with goodies to conserve space and send more.) If there is still room add more.

5. Pray
This is the most important part. Pray for the child, their family, their community, and nation that they may know and serve Jesus as the Savior and Lord

This year was LOTS of fun and hard work. I actually thought I was going to have some left over goodies, but no, not really. It mostly all got packed up and ready to be delivered. My collection box is now empty and ready to be filled once again for God's glory.

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow
-The Desert Song by Hillsong




Tips for preparing to pack a box:
1. Start in advance
Look for goodies throughout the year. I am actually going to keep a list this time of the ages we will be packing boxes for and thus keep it in mind when I am shopping. It's better to have extras than to have to run out and buy last minute items.

2. Think out of the box
bar soap, socks, toothpaste, toothbrushes, utensils & cups (take and toss), balloons, hair accessories (brushes, combs, headbands)

3. Personalize it
Pack the box with a child in mind and not a box. Adding just anything to fill a box defeats the purpose. Don't put things you wouldn't give to any other child you knew personally. Shop for items your own children would like. Adding a photo (you can get 100 photo postcards for about $10 shipped from here), letter, or drawing makes it more special and thoughtful. Consider buying a clear shoe box so that they can keep and use it as well.

1 comment:

  1. I know prayer is the most significant and needed item for the box. Starting early in the year is key to having a good amount of toys, toiletries, etc. for the boxes. Although, I did collect items throughout the year, I noticed that I still had to purchase items last minute. Next year God willing, I want to be even more oragnized!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14