Monday, October 12, 2009

Pleasant Words

As a homeschooling mother, having a good curriculum is important. However, it does not replace the Holy Spirit's instruction and my disposition to be a useful instrument in the Lord's hands.

How can you be a good teacher to your children?

Well, the Holy Spirit has taught me:

(1) to be a good teacher, I must be a great student first. It is so important not to have power trips with our kids and teach them in a dictatorship manner. We have to be flexible, moldable, and humble. They must see eager students reflected in us who sit at the Master's feet listening to His teachings rather than seeing "I know it all because I'm mommy" attitude.

(2)The Holy Spirit has been ministering me on Proverbs 16:21,

"The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction."

Wow, what a revelation! At times, when we talk and talk and talk (and our children don't seem to get it), we end up sinning through frustrations and impatience. A sister in Christ once told me that going on and on is pointless because it's not God's way. God doesn't keep on drilling corrections or hammering interrogations at us, so neither should we.

If our desired effect is to promote instruction in the home, Godly instruction, let's begin doing it's God's way and use pleasant words. Let us speak as our Father speaks and we will get His results, which are always good and pleasant!

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord for this post! I truly commend every parent that have taken the task to homeschool their children with the guidance of the Holy Spirit! I know that the task might seem overwhelming at times, but always remember that the Lord makes our burden light (Matthew 11:30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.")I know that teaching our children secular curriculum like English, Math,History, Science, etc. is important, however as Christians the most important lesson that we can teach them whether we are homeschooling or not is our testimony. Holy Spirit help us a parents and teachers to be led by you at all times so that we can impart your Godly wisdom and character into our beloved children in Jesus' name. Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14