Saturday, October 31, 2009

Monthly Round Up: October




Two months of homeschooling....wow...where does the time go???


Well, this month has has some new additions, like our new uniform!!!

All the way from Ecuador and custom made. We like very much (can you tell?) and each of us has one (yes, even me). Why uniforms? I like having that clean, I am ready to learn (and teach) look:)

I am also looking at new History curriculums for next year. Not that I don't like the Rod and Staff, but the teacher's manual isn't really helpful since it doesn't have a copy of the student's pages in the teacher's manual. Any ideas?

I am also looking in to a new Reading curriculum. Once again, not that I don't like the Rod and Staff, but I was thinking that maybe we would study books throughout the year as opposed to reading short stories. What do you prefer?

We've been enjoying the Health curriculum too! It's really laid out for a school setting, but we enjoy the topics and some of the activities as well.

The art curriculum is actually really good and I can tell it's helping to enhance my tween's (wow, this time next year, she'll be by teen) drawing. She likes it.

My tot is learning sooo much which makes me realize how fast she's growing too. She can "read" (recognizes words in paragraphs and can read short sentences). Playing a phonics game we got at Target for $1 has helped me to see how much she has grasped the sounds of letters. I also had gotten her this book from CBD and it's great for as a review and reinforcement since she knows most of it. It comes with a 30 minute lesson plan which is good.

She's also gaining a greater understanding of the Word. I must admit, I was thinking at the last minute of not doing DiscipleLand and starting something new, but I am so glad we stuck with it. Nothing against Discipleland, I was just thinking she required something more challenging. But I ordered the next set (E, F, G, H), and we're finishing with Revelation. She would've studied almost the entire New Testament!!!! God is so good.

We've also been using Joyful Heart Character Study and Scripture memorization. She's up to letter H. So she and I have memorized 8 Scriptures thus far.

This is actually answered prayer for me because I wanted to work on Bible memorization. Maybe we should start something over here, together? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Karen, the uniform looks great. I should try that. It helps a lot to have yourself ready to go for school. Amen.

    God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The uniforms are an awesome idea for us as well. It helps to understand that even though we are learning at home, our desire is to be disciplined.

    I am interested in purchasing the Health curriculum. I saw it on CBD and it looks interesting.

    I have the same feelings on the history and reading books from Rod and Staff. I do like that they are incorporating scripture in each leasson and looking at situations occuring throughout the world from a biblical perspective however, the teachers manual does not permit the parent to read along.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14