Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Recipe: Pizza

After having a funny conversation with my SIC about johnny cakes (you had to be there), I decided to post a recipe on pizza. I found my recipe from  The Fannie Farmer Cookbook (I just tweaked the recipe a bit, I add some sugar). This cookbook holds fond memories of me walking through Barnes & Noble as a young bride looking for a cookbook to help me the kitchen department. I didn't end up using it (learned instead from hubby's mother and grandmother) but as of late, I've taken old Fannie out and started making some recipes.  It's actually very easy to make, you just need to plan in advance since it takes about 2hrs for the dough to rise.  Enjoy!  

So onto Fannie's recipe:

What You'll Use:
1/13 cups warm water
1 package dry yeast
3-4 cups of flour
olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups tomato sauce
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
3 teaspoons oregano, crushed

What You'll Do; 
In 1/3 cup warm water dissolve the yeast, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Add about 2 cups of flour, 2 tablespoon oil, 1 cup war m water, and the salt, and beat
Add more flour, mixing well, until the dough holds together in a rough mass
Lightly flour a board or work surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes
Put in an oiled bowl to rise, cover with plastic wrap
Punch it down and divide in thirds after about 2 hours (the dough has risen)
Let rest for 5 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
Roll dough over pizza try with your hands (makes three 14-inch pies)
Prick all over with fork
Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce , 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon oregano over each pie
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil
Let rest for 10 minutes
Bake for 18-20 minutes

(Be sure not to skip highlighted steps)



Here's my risen pizza dough:

And here's my assembled uncooked pizza:


1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy :)~
    I held off on buying the flour at BJ's because it was such a huge bag and I didn't know what I would do with all that flour. However, I think this would be a great way to get the kiddies involved and looking at the pics I just may re-think my idea.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14