Monday, August 17, 2009

How's Your View?

Wheat field
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
2 Corinthians 10:5

Even though the Lord had freed them, delivering them from slavery, demonstrated His power among them, and promised them a land flowing with milk and honey, at the moment of adversity, conflict, difficulty, the Israelites preferred to stop moving, go back to Egypt!  Why? Because they did not cast down vain imaginations and take their thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.

As Christians, we can fall into this trap too!  How?  We don't follow the directions provided in Scripture.  When the enemy would come and bring a vain imagination (a lie), I would take my thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ (meditate on what His Word says and not the devil's lie).  And although this helped, I noticed the enemy would come back with the same old lie. When I inquired of the Lord, He led me to expose the enemy's lies (casting down imaginations).  So when the enemy would tell me, "Your husband was sweeter in the world," it wasn't enough to say, "My husband loves me as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her."  I had to expose the lie! I have to be able to say, "No, my husband wasn't sweet in the world.  We did not have Jesus in our hearts, therefore it was impossible for us to love one another. That wasn't love, it was lust.  That was a lie, now we are in the Truth.  And what is the truth?  Now that Jesus is in our hearts, my husband loves me with God's love.  Now he loves me as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her."

It's so important to cast down imaginations and take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.  Otherwise, our view will be a backwards one.  We will be remembering Egypt as a blessing instead of enjoying seeing God's glory even in the wilderness and looking forward to Canaan, the promised land.  

1 comment:

  1. I can so easily allow my mind get off track and wander to those vain imaginations. And they may make sense at the time, but they are lies. Praise God, He gets me back on track digging into His word and His ways.

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14