Thursday, August 13, 2009

Healing Words

Reckless words pierce like a sword, 
       but the tongue of the wise brings healing. 
Proverbs 12:18 

Too often, I've probably said the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person.  Ever happened to you?

Too often, we can easily and carelessly fall into this when we want to express our opinion instead of waiting to hear what the Holy Spirit would have us say to someone.  Honestly, I know that my opinion isn't worth anything unless it has been formed by Godly wisdom. 

Does that mean that we are never to speak?  No, but since we don't live anymore (Galatians 2:20), we should only speak that which He wants us to when He wants us to, to whom He wants us to.  

Let's not fall into the habit of voicing our opinions and dispensing our advice at our listener's expense.  We may think our words are helping, healing, counseling but only God's Word can do that.  We may have the best of intentions, but let us also remember that He knows better than we do, what a person needs.  So instead of thinking we know what's best for someone, let's ask Him who definitely knows.  We can do NOTHING apart from Him (John 15:5).  

Have I reached this level?  Not yet, but I am striving towards it.  As Jesus' disciples, let's follow His example in John 12:49, "For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it.Following His example, we will always say the right thing at the right time to the right person!

2 comments:

  1. Amen!!! God help us be led by you at all times. Your words are the ones that bring healing, restoration and edification to peoples lives... Help this be a revelation to each one of us and forgive us for every vain word that we have spoken, in Jesus' name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!! sister. This is such a revelation and so important to understand but it has been difficult
    for me to applied. help me Jesus, Iam still striving to achieve it.I want to follow his example. I pray God forgive me for every vain, usuless, wrong word
    that I have spoken, in Jesus name. Amen!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14