Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Clear Choice



When Jesus was taken before Pilate, Pilate declared regarding Jesus, "He is not guilty of any crime. But you have a custom of asking me to release someone from prison each year at Passover.  So if you want me to, I'll release the King of the Jews." (John 18:38-39)

What did the people shout back?  "No! Not this man, but Barabbas!"(v.40)

And who was Barabbas?
1.  a criminal (John 18:40)
2.  a murderer (Mark 15:7)
3.  insurrectionist (Luke 23:19)
4.  notorious (Matthew 27:16)

Do these qualities remind you of someone?  Yes, our enemy, the devil.  The Bible states in John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Choosing any other person but JESUS is in fact a choice for the devil.  The devil would like us to believe that there are grey areas, different paths leading to the same god.  But remember, he is the father of lies (John 8:44). The Bible states, "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

Pilate presented the people with two choices--Jesus or Barabbas (Matthew 27:17).  We are presented with the same two choices today--Jesus or the devil.  Who will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14