Monday, June 15, 2009

What's Your Vision?

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines far sighted as seeing or able to see to a great distance whereas near sighted is  the ablilty to see near things more clearly than distant ones.  Which are you?

Jesus said in John 14: 27-29, "27Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]

    28You heard Me tell you, I am going away and I am coming [back] to you. If you [really] loved Me, you would have been glad, because I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater and mightier than I am.

    29And now I have told you [this] before it occurs, so that when it does take place you may believe and have faith in and rely on Me."

Here Jesus is telling the disciples that He is giving them a peace unknown and unexperienced by them so that they may be able to endure and overcome the hard, the difficult, the challenging, and the painful.  Jesus has given us that same peace.

Jesus wanted his disciples to rejoice in the fact that He was about to fulfill the Father's will and return to the Father.  He tells them that if they really did love Him, they would be glad for His return to the Father.  He wanted them to be focused on the goal not the present.  And He too wants us to be far sighted and not near sighted.

Jesus understands that we are near-sighted; our physical eyes can see what is going on around us.  Yet, He provides His peace so that while we may see what's going on, we can remain far-sighted--focused on the goal.  Jesus goal was to do the Father's will here on earth and return to the Father.  That should be our goal too.  

Let us not let near sighted vision hinder our far sighted goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14