Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fitting Words

This week, we are working on some small remodeling projects around the house.  We have set goals as to what we would like to get done in each day so as to help us stay focused and on track.  Yesterday, however, we got a little derailed.  I could feel that both my husband and I were both feeling a little discouraged at the day's events.  I was tempted to start rethinking what we should have or could have done so that indeed we would have reached our goal.  As I began walking, I was right about to say something, when the Holy Spirit quickly told me to stay quiet.  I obeyed. Almost immediately, my husband started telling me how he could look at the day and become disappointed but instead was going to rejoice that the Lord's will did get done and he learned a bit more about communication.  I was so happy that he choose fitting words. He was right; we had indeed accomplished our goal--doing the Father's will.  Amen!  

We make the choice of what comes out of our mouths.  We can choose fitting words for the situation.  My husband could have chosen to voice his regrets or disappointments (if indeed he had them), but instead, he chose to use words that fit the situation.  At that moment, I wanted words of encouragement, and he allowed himself to be used of the Lord to give them.  Thank you Jesus!

God is so good that we ended up reaching our goal.  And while we were doing it my husband continued to provide those fitting words.  Are you allowing the Lord to use you to provide those fitting words?

The lips of the righteous know what is fitting, 
       but the mouth of the wicked only what is perverse.
Proverbs 10:32

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't life just go so much better when we DO heed those nudges of the Spirit within us? I needed to be reminded of that as a busy days kicks off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to always allow the Holy Spirit to direct me in what words to say and when to say them.

    Especially when it comes to my daughter. When I see her going through something I want to always be mommy and try to fix it.

    However, I have to let her Heavenly Father coach her through wahtever situation she is going through and just keep my ears open for when the Spirit tells me..."ok, now say this" or "do this". Thank you Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14