Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bible Reading


Picture this:  a Sunday school teacher stands before his students and asks them whether they have read their Bibles during the week.  You're standing there gazing at the children when you notice the confused looks on their faces and one of them belongs to your daughter. 

Well, this happened to me back in January!  After speaking to my daughter about it, I realized that although she had a Bible reading plan, she was very backed up on her reading.  So led by the Holy Spirit, I gave her a new Bible reading plan and a calendar ($1.00 @ Target) and explained to her that she would read the day's selection then write a verse that ministered her on the calendar.  It has been working ever since.  I don't have to ask whether she read or not, I can just look at the calendar. No more guessing, the evidence is there.  

She has become more responsible with her reading and is learning that we are held accountable to God for our own spiritual lives.  The Holy Spirit also led me to have her read the Bible when she got home from school before doing anything else.  This way demonstrating the importance and significance of God's Word in our lives.  

So, if you have run into the same situation with your child, you may want to try it out.  I will advise, however, that the best way children learn to love the Word of God is through your example.  So make sure that if necessary, you are getting two sets of Bible reading plans and two calendars.  Although the year is already in the sixth month, it's never too late to start. There are many websites that allow you to start at different times.   Click on this link to get started and enjoy!  http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/

Father, I thank you for Your Word and pray that we would all love Your Word. Help us to be examples to our children, that Your Word is the ultimate authority in our lives.  Help us to demonstrate the importance of reading and meditating on Your Word through new and creative ways guided by Your Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I remember being in the same situation a few months ago. I thanked God that I had a conversation first with Him then with my daughter about the situation. And I have witnessed a transformation in my daughter's approach to her daily devotionals.

    Yesterday during our family prayer time it was beautiful to me to hear my daughter vocalize to her heavenly Father how much she wants to be immersed in His presence through prayer and in His Word.

    For God's Glory she is keeping up with her bible reading plan. She has fallen behind but with encouragement and through our example in the name of Jesus she is getting back on track!

    Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I praise the Lord that b/c He is truly their Father, He provides the wisdom on how to train Him.
    We must trust Him and not lean on our own understanding.
    Sometimes as parents, we think we know what's best for them, but they are His first and foremost and he knows what's best for them.
    Help us Jesus to reflect You to them!

    ReplyDelete

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14